Half Points Matter
Another very important factor to the success of a sports bettor is Line Shopping. The ability to compare different lines and prices before placing a bet will have a major impact on your overall performance.
If you want the best results you have to get the best numbers. Giving yourself access to multiple sets of lines can easily allow you to gain a half point to a full point or more on most Master Matrix Sports picks. We release our picks using the consensus number at the time the full card is released. So there is usually meat left on the bone where you can find a sportsbook offering a more favorable number. For example if our pick is the LA Dodgers at -145 you may be able to find them somewhere at -140. Or if our pick is an Under at 158.5 you may be able to find it somewhere for Under 159.0 and pick up a ½ point. There is generally a lot more variance in Over/Unders and Money Lines that there are in spreads.
Line shopping can be helped considerably by using a live odds service. There are multiple sites that let you compare the different lines at the different sportsbooks. The simple act of comparing prices before you place your bets will have a significant impact on your long term results.
We are Las Vegas based so our line shopping is all through the legal Nevada based sportsbooks. There’s actually only 14 different sportsbooks as listed below. Each group of casinos share the same lines. If you’re looking to make larger wagers without the casinos noticing you there’s no reason you can’t make the same wager at multiple books. That would’ve been time consuming in the past. With the mobile apps it only takes a minute. Different books have different limits on different bets but they’ll all take at least $500 on almost anything.
Following the Supreme Court’s repeal of PASPA sports betting is no longer federally illegal and will become legal in more states than just Nevada. Each state can now make their own laws and decide for themselves if they want sports betting to be legal in their own state. However, whether you are in Nevada or New Jersey you should still practice line shopping and make sure that you are getting the most bang for your betting dollar.
Below are the links to download the mobile apps for the different legal Nevada sportsbooks. However, to initially open an account you will need to do it in person at the SportsBook.
- Circa: Independent. Newest addition to the Las Vegas market. Mobile Sports App.
- Stations: Red Rock, Green Valley Ranch, Palace Station, Boulder Station, Sunset Station, Santa Fe Station, Texas Station, Wild Wild West, Fiestas & Wildfires. Mobile Sports App.
- Boyd/Coast: Orleans, Gold Coast, Aliante, Sam’s Town, Fremont, California, Suncoast, Cannery, Eastside Cannery & Joker’s Wild. Mobile Sports App.
- Westgate Superbook: Independent, but they run the SuperBook. If you’ve never been here it’s kind of a site to behold. They generally put up some of the best money lines in town. Mobile Sports App.
- NV Sports: South Point & Rampart. Arguably the best book in town for NFL because they usually don’t adjust prices, only point spreads. Mobile Sports App.
- William Hill: Circus Circus, Stratosphere, Arizona Charlie’s, Hooter’s, Binion’s, Ellis Island & pretty much every other small casino/bar in the state. Mobile Sports App.
- Wynn: Wynn & Encore. Mobile Sports App.
- MGM: MGM, Aria, Bellagio, Mirage, Mandalay Bay, Luxor, Excalibur, Park MGM & New York-New York. They’re so big yet so scared… Mobile Sports App.
- Treasure Island: Independent. One of the few books to actually reflect an opinion in their lines. They’ll be out by themselves quite often. Mobile Sports App.
- Golden Nugget: Independent. Great book. Mobile Sports App.
- Caesars/Eldorado: Caesars, Planet Hollywood, Rio, Flamingo, The Quad, Harrah’s, Paris, Bally’s, Cromwell. Mobile Sports App.
- CG Technology (Cantor): The Venetian, Palazzo, Tropicana, Cosmopolitan, Palms, & Silverton (Silverton doesn’t take action on the LA Clippers, LA Sparks or LA Kings). CG is likely to combine with William Hill in the near future. Mobile Sports App.
- Peppermill: Reno. Reno numbers can vary wildly from Las Vegas. The app works the same in Las Vegas as it does in Reno. Mobile Sports App.
- Atlantis: Reno. Southwest flies non-stop daily Las Vegas to Reno! Mobile Sports App.
- Carson Valley Inn: Minden – About 50 miles South of Reno