Half Points Matter
Another very important factor to the success of a sports bettor is Line Shopping. The ability to compare different lines and prices before placing a bet will have a major impact on your overall performance.
If you want the best results you have to get the best numbers. Giving yourself access to multiple sets of lines can easily allow you to gain a half point to a full point or more on most Master Matrix Sports picks. We release our picks using the consensus number at the time the full card is released. So there is usually meat left on the bone where you can find a sportsbook offering a more favorable number. For example if our pick is the LA Dodgers at -145 you may be able to find them somewhere at -140. Or if our pick is an Under at 158.5 you may be able to find it somewhere for Under 159.0 and pick up a ½ point. There is generally a lot more variance in Over/Unders and Money Lines that there are in spreads.
Line shopping can be helped considerably by using a live odds service. There are multiple sites that let you compare the different lines at the different sportsbooks. The simple act of comparing prices before you place your bets will have a significant impact on your long term results.
We are Las Vegas based so our line shopping is all through the legal Nevada based sportsbooks. There’s actually only 14 different sportsbooks as listed below. Each group of casinos share the same lines. If you’re looking to make larger wagers without the casinos noticing you there’s no reason you can’t make the same wager at multiple books. That would’ve been time consuming in the past. With the mobile apps it only takes a minute. Different books have different limits on different bets but they’ll all take at least $500 on almost anything.
Following the Supreme Court’s repeal of PASPA sports betting is no longer federally illegal and will become legal in more states than just Nevada. Each state can now make their own laws and decide for themselves if they want sports betting to be legal in their own state. However, whether you are in Nevada or New Jersey you should still practice line shopping and make sure that you are getting the most bang for your betting dollar.
Below are the links to download the mobile apps for the different legal Nevada sportsbooks. However, to initially open an account you will need to do it in person at the SportsBook.
- CG Technology (Cantor): The M, Venetian, Palazzo, Hard Rock, Tropicana, Cosmopolitan, Palms, & Silverton (Silverton doesn’t take action on the LA Clippers, LA Sparks or LA Kings). Mobile Sports App.
- Stations: Red Rock, Green Valley Ranch, Texas Station, Palace Station, Boulder Station, Sunset Station, Santa Fe Station, Wild Wild West and a bunch of small local casinos. They do an insane amount of handle for a local casino. Mobile Sports App.
- Coasts (Boyd): Orleans, Gold Coast, Aliante, Sam’s Town, Fremont, California, Suncoast, Cannery, Eastside Cannery & Joker’s Wild. Mobile Sports App.
- Westgate Superbook: Independent, but they run the SuperBook. Mobile Sports App.
- NV Sportsbook: South Point & Rampart. Probably the best book in town for NFL because they don’t adjust prices, only point spreads. Mobile Sports App.
- William Hill: Hooter’s, Binion’s, The D, Ellis Island & pretty much every other small casino in the state. Mobile Sports App.
- Wynn: Wynn & Encore. Mobile Sports App.
- MGM: MGM, Aria, Bellagio, Mirage, Mandalay Bay, Luxor, Excalibur, Circus Circus, Monte Carlo & New York-New York. They’re so big yet so scared… Mobile Sports App.
- Treasure Island: Independent. One of the few books to actually reflect an opinion in their lines. They’ll be out by themselves quite often. They launched the app in 2015 only to shut it down a few months later only to reopen it in 2016. A definite must have out. Mobile Sports App.
- Golden Nugget: Independent. Great book. Mobile Sports App.
- Caesars: Caesars, Planet Hollywood, Rio, Flamingo, The Quad, Harrah’s, Paris, Bally’s, Cromwell.
- Stratosphere: Stratosphere, Arizona Charlie’s on Boulder and Decatur.
- Peppermill: Reno. Reno numbers can vary wildly from Las Vegas. The app works the same in Las Vegas as it does in Reno. Mobile Sports App.
- Atlantis: Reno. Southwest flies non-stop daily Las Vegas to Reno. Mobile Sports App.
Not included on this list were Jerry’s Nugget & Carson Valley Inn